lunes, 25 de febrero de 2008

It is good service what matters

Some things you do and some places you go grow in stature as time goes by. You liked them the first time and, when you remember them, you recall small details that increase your appreciation for them. That is the case of Islamorada Fish Company www.islamoradafishcompany.com where my family and I felt better treated than in the vast majority of Spanish restaurants.

Despite being affiliated with BassPro in January 1998 (whatever that means), Islamorada Fish Company has not lost the flavour of a family business. However, I would not stress the flavour of the food they serve. It was service in every conceivable way what struck me.

Islamorada Fish Company runs the cleanest and best-smelling fishmonger’s (pescadería) and a deli with a variety of salads ready to take away, including one made of spicy Japanese algae with sesame. Under a separate wooden veranda by the dock there is an open-air restaurant basically selling fried fish sandwiches. Well, the food was nothing to write home about. No need to try the alligator, the specialty of the region.

Then why do I strongly recommend this place? No sooner had we entered the restaurant than a smiling and super-friendly waiter greeted us “Hello, how are you? One high chair or two?”. For those not travelling with children, the latter (encrypted) question means “Your kids are welcome, we know they are noisy and untidy, we do not mind, just leave us a good tip”. The waiters serve some ice water (tap water, by the way) as soon as you take your seat. They deliver the menus immediately.

Unfortunately the algae salad I had seen at the shop was not available in the menu, not even upon request. Just a pity. So I settled for another salad and took one of the kids to the restroom, where I could find a shower no less! Islamorada Fish Company organises fishing excursions and (believe me) a shower for clients makes much sense. A shower is always good news when you are travelling with children who are not fully potty trained (esto significa niños que no controlan los esfínteres, por decirlo delicadamente).

Talking about fishermen, look at this:

blog 25-02-08.jpg

If that is not full service, then what is it? Want some entertainment? They play a shark-feeding show at lunchtime for the patrons’ enjoyment. And last but not least, the waiter cancelled my second-best choice of a salad, she called the shop and I had my Japanese spicy algae salad waiting for me.

Lots of things to learn from the Florida hospitality.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario